Japan Video Games Blog

TO THOSE WHO DON'T WANT THEIR WORK PROMOTED

Hey guys and gals! We FIND and PROMOTE people's work, we never take credit for things we haven't written, we just love sharing the things that are interesting, but if you don't want your work or pictures shown, please let me know and I'll take it off, we're not trying to harm any one here or infringe on anyone's copyrights, just late night entertainment for my friends and I after a long days of work.

We're not making money off the site, nor are we publishing anything to other places through feedburner claiming that it's our work, just a hobby of finding cool things around the internet, that's all. Sometimes we copy and paste too quickly and a link giving you credit doesn't appear, if that's the case and you DO want your work promoted, we will add in the backlink, we would love to give credit where credit is due!

Please contact me or drop a comment on any posts you guys don't want up and I'll take it off within 24 hours, thanks!

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Connect with Your Kids | Brucisms - Thoughts on Life, Leadership, and The Pursuit of Happiness

Parenting is tough business today. Our kids are on information overload. Between iPods, cell phones, the Internet, 275+ channels of cable tv… oh yeah, and girlfriends, boyfriends, sports, first jobs, cars, teenage social trauma, and the fact that we know absolutely nothing about what goes on in the world today (I know - because my girls let me know that nearly every day!); how is a parent supposed to parent anymore?

I’m not Dr. Phil or any kind of parenting expert. I’ve made (and make) the same mistakes most father’s have. But I do have 5 daughters. Only two are still at home, the 13 yr old superjock Katie; and the 18 yr old social queen and self-appointed expert on all I don’t know, Jessica. It is still a challenge to connect - but here are 5 Little Things to help.

Eat dinner together at the table - If you take away the iPods, cell phones, tv, and video games for an hour and sit at a table around some food, guess what happens? Your kids talk to you! In my house it’s impossible to try this every day - but at least once a week, try to have a “sit down” meal as a family. If it’s too hard to manage at home, or if you have a hard time getting your teenager to “fit you in” - then take the family out to a sit down dinner. (Even the 18 year old won’t pass up a free meal at a restaurant)

Read a story - This has always been a “tried and true” way to connect with younger kids, but it can work with teenagers too, as long as it’s on their terms. Be prepared - you may be in for the latest gossip in “Teen People” or the newest fad in “Seventeen”! I’ll admit, I don’t do this often enough, but I think my girls appreciate the effort when I do. They’ve even rewarded me by sitting down with me to watch a ball game - well for a few minutes anyway (and I appreciated their effort, too).

Play a game of checkers - Kids 5 to 55 can play checkers. It’s great one on one time. Let your kids take the lead in the conversation and you’ll be amazed at the things that they will share. Want to connect as a family? Try a game night. My family does best with “Trivial Pursuit” or “Mad Gabs” - but any game can work.

Volunteer together - The greatest gift you can give to your children is the gift of giving. Volunteer at a soup kitchen, a homeless shelter, or a Boys & Girls Club. Volunteer for a community clean up of a public park or wilderness area. Not only will you connect with your child - but you will give them a different perspective on life, and the gift of providing a service to others.

Get outside! - Go to the beach. Take a hike. Paddle a canoe. Let your kids see that there is a big world out there beyond the tv - a world full of beautiful wonders that we are all connected to.

It’s easy to fall into a routine of reruns and dinner on the sofa. It’s easy to let your teenagers cocoon themselves in their rooms on the phone, listening to music and updating their “MySpace” (all at the same time). But if you make the effort to connect, they will meet you half way - and the rewards are far greater than the effort.

Connect with Your Kids | Brucisms - Thoughts on Life, Leadership, and The Pursuit of Happiness
Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments:

Marc and Angel Hack Life

Self Improvement

Personal Development with The Positivity Blog

HowStuffWorks: Health Daily RSS Feed

PickTheBrain | Smarter Self Improvement

I will change your life . com